As I write this, we have already lost 4 people from our group. The next three to leave will be Trina, Steffen, and myself. We stayed up until 4am last night to watch Emma, Lauren, and Stephanie get in their taxi to start their treks home. It was so sad to see them go, knowing that I won't see some of them for quite a long time. We were so exhausted after they left, that we immediately went to bed and crashed. I woke up rather early this morning, walked down the hall to Lauren's room, and was so depressed to see it completely empty.
Being in Toowoomba without all of these people is so hard. Lauren isn't just down the hall, Alex's loud voice isn't booming through the house, and I can't text Stephanie with some witty comment or funny story. Being one of the last to leave is definitely hard. Tonight is my last full night in Toowoomba, as Trina and I are also taking a 4am cab tomorrow night. Tomorrow should consist of packing, having a few cocktails, and finishing off as much of our food that we still have as possible. Luckily we still have a rather large group of people to keep company with. Casey and Michelle will be in Toowoomba for two more weeks, and Tyler is here for the next semester. Though our group is smaller, we still are having a good time, making each other laugh, and trying not to get too sad about those that are missing.
This semester has been one of the most inspiring times in my life. I have met so many different and amazing people who have all given me a boost to become a better person. All of my friends here are so caring, loving, hilarious, intelligent, and beautiful people. Leaving them is going to be so incredibly hard. Knowing that we all may never be in the same place at the same time again, and especially not in Toowoomba, is so painful. I anticipate needing an entire box of tissues for my flights home. This semester has also sparked my love for traveling. I cannot wait to explore as much of this world as possible. Before coming to Australia I told myself I was going to take any opportunity that was given to me throughout the semester. I believe I did just that. Though there were still so many other things I would have liked to do or see, I believe that I did so much considering the time and money constraints. All of those I didn't get to, will just head my to-do list for the next time I'm down under.
This must be one of the most bittersweet times in my life. While I am so sad to leave my friends and the wonderful dynamic we've created, I am also ready to bid Toowoomba adieu and get back to beautiful Vermont! Summer in Vermont could quite possibly be my most favorite thing. The mountains are so beautiful, it's sunny and warm, and everyone is so carefree. I cannot wait to see you all and tell of the details of my semester! Even though I will be exhausted from 40 hours of traveling, incredibly jet-lagged, and maybe as greasy as a frialator, I will instantly be rejuvenated by the sight of family, friends, and beautiful Bethel and Burlington. I am so fortunate to have been able to experience this semester and all that it has entailed. But I am even more fortunate to be able to return to a place like Vermont.
I will do my best to post again tomorrow night before I leave. My flight schedule is something like this: Fly from Brisbane to Sydney at/around 11am (9pmEST Sunday) , Sydney to San Francisco, and then from SanFran to Boston getting in around 10:30pmEST Monday night. Should be in Bethel by 2am... which will of course feel like 4pm that same day. Super. :)
Can't wait to see you all!
Hope all is well!
Miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment