I figure an update is in order... and I'm waiting at the internet cafe for the last episode of The Office to finish downloading and I need something to do. This week was slightly more labor intensive, school wise. I have a group project coming up in my mental health class next week. I've been gathering information and putting my powerpoint together... shouldn't be too bad.
We are nearing the end of the semester, actually. Next week is our last week of class, then we have two weeks of clinical, then two weeks of finals, and then I'm on a plane home on June 29th. It's going to rush up so fast. I'm excited for class to be done, but slightly nervous for clinical. Lauren and I will be going to a TINY town (pop. 1000) called Mitchell for our clinical placement. It is 6 hours west of Toowoomba and is called "The Gateway to the Outback." At first we thought we were going to see absolutely NOTHING that involved nursing. However, everyone we have talked to said that because it is such a small facility, we will be involved with almost every patient that comes in. Instead of being in just a certain ward, we'll see everything. I've been getting more excited. I do still have to get my uniform though... so many things to do.
This weekend I will be traveling by myself to Cairns to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef for two days, thanks to Dad! I fly out of Brisbane tomorrow and will be diving on Saturday and Sunday, then coming home Monday. I'm incredibly excited... but this will the first time I've been alone since I've been in Australia. Hopefully I'll meet some cool people though. Trina and some of our friends drove to Cairns over Easter break and they loved it. Needless to say there will be HEAPS of pictures to upload once I am back.
I don't know if it's been in the news at home or not... but there has been some TERRIBLE flooding in SE Queensland. It poured constantly on Tuesday and Wednesday. I think we have maybe seen 5 passing showers up until now this semester. It was very hard to get up for 8am classes when it was pouring with winds up to 50kmh. Being that Toowoomba is 400-500m above Brisbane, we have not had any flooding. But the rain is so incredibly necessary. Toowoomba's water reservoirs were at 9% before the storm. I'm not sure what they'll be up to now, but I imagine it raised a bit. On Tuesday the Gold Coast received 250mm of rain... basically like 8 inches. In ONE day. That is 1/3 of their annual rainfall. The reservoirs in Brisbane went from around 16% to 70-100%. It's amazing how much rain there was. I was reading online and apparently the reservoirs haven't seen anything near those levels since 2002. I also heard that Brisbane hasn't seen flooding this bad since the flood of 74. This might not have meant anything to me a week ago, but while I was in Brisbane I saw a marker of the water level and it was easily 6' high... and that was at a point that was probably 30' above the height of the river. It's so weird to think that I was just there on Monday and that the next day buildings and cars were all flooded. That's mother nature for you, I guess.
I called Greyhound [No TT-Coaches this time for me!! :)] and they said that there weren't any delays today from the flooding, and if the rain holds off tonight service should be good tomorrow. So I'm hoping it doesn't rain tonight because I only have about 2.5hrs from the time I get into Brisbane until my flight takes off.
I think that's about it for now... not much else to report on. I would like to send a big Congratulations to Ben and Liz for finally getting engaged! It's about time!
Hope all is well at home!
Miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment