This post will be short... I promise.
From Queenstown we drove 7 hours in the rain up the west coast to Fox Glacier. We drove through Wanaka on the way, and it was almost nostalgic to be back there again. It felt like forever since our time there. I didn't realize it at first, but Fox Glacier is DIRECTLY across the mountain range from Mt. Cook. It's funny how small the island was, and how "criss-crossy" our path was.
Our original plan was to do an afternoon hike on the glacier, but the rain was so heavy and the fog so thick, that we decided to have another lazy afternoon in the movie room at our hostel. I think I watched 3 movies that afternoon.
The next morning we got up at 5:30 in order to make the sunrise on Lake Matheson, which is right in town, had an hour long walk around it, and normally has incredible reflections of Mt. Cook in the morning on it's glass-still water. Sadly, the fog was still pretty thick, and while there was some reflection of the mountain, there wasn't anything that spectacular. Until we were back in the car on our way to Takaka... of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment