Every evening Lauren and I don our exterminator gear and go throughout our town house to murder the tons of grasshoppers that try to inhabit our house with us. However we must have missed one last night as when I was showering today I looked down to see one of the little buggers washing up with me. Needless to say he didn't make it to the end of the shower.
Aside from the grasshoppers things are going great! I have gone grocery shopping, gotten some needed supplies for my room/house, went RUNNING!!! (shock, I know), went to the bottle shop last night (aka Pearl Street Beverage.)
Toowoomba and most of Queensland has been in a drought for like 15 years or something crazy like that so the city is on a Level 5 Water Restriction. What that means, I have no idea. However... that does mean that they want people to only use 140liters per day. This may sound like a lot... but let me run down through some common water usages (all of which are posted on a sign in our townhouse)
1. A shower: 1 minute = 12 liters. We have little hour glasses in the showers that suction cup to the walls. We are only to take a 4 minute shower, as governed by the hourglass.
2. Doing dishes: 9liters/minute
3. Using the toilet: Our toilets have two flush settings. 1 is just a mere 3 liter flush... for the casual pee. Then if you need to call in reinforcements there is a second flush that uses a whopping 12 liters... clearly you can imagine what that might be used for.
We have met a very cool girl from the UK/Hong Kong, 3 very nice German girls, some guys from the US, and we just got a new roommate today who is a guy from Germany. He seems very nice.
We have orientation class a little later... something on multiculturalism (basically alana... ha)
Anyway, miss you all!
I'll send out an email soon...
Daniel
Daniel, awesome that you are in Australia! My mom always wanted to go, so enjoy!!! I am watching your blog! Love Barb
ReplyDeleteDaniel, love the blog!! Australia sounds amazing, Im jealous of your warm weather, get a good tan for me. miss youuu
ReplyDelete4 minute shower is a bummer
ReplyDeleteit sounds great!!! I agree with mark and the 4 minute shower.
ReplyDeleteCareful about killing grasshoppers...it's bad luck you know! You'll have to learn to take military showers and stretch your water...it all sounds like a great adventure...I know you are loving every minute of it!
ReplyDelete